Legal high called Liquid Gold is being sold on Shell petrol station counter next to children’s sweets
- ‘Poppers’ found on sale at a Shell garage in Barnsley, South Yorkshire
- It’s a slang term given to alkyl nitrites, inhaled for recreational purposes
- Chemicals come in small bottles – often called Liquid Gold or Pure Gold
A legal high was found being sold on the counter of a petrol station – next to children’s sweets.
‘Poppers’ – a slang term given to the chemical called alkyl nitrites, which is inhaled for recreational purposes – were on sale at a Shell garage in Hoyland Common area of Barnsley, South Yorkshire.
They come in small bottles – often called Liquid Gold or Pure Gold – and users report getting a short but quick head rush from them, which is caused by a sudden surge of blood to the heart and brain.
Side effects can include chemical burns to body tissues, sickness, faintness or weakness, and even death if swallowed. Possession of poppers is not illegal – but supplying can be an offence.
The gold bottles, which cost around £4 each, claim to be ‘room odourisers’. They have a child-proof cap and read ‘highly flammable’ and ‘toxic’ with the skull and crossbones logo.
But despite claiming to be air fresheners, the bottles were not found to be among the cleaning products in the garage – but alongside other items including e-cigarettes and sweets.
A local resident, who did not want to be named, said she was ‘appalled’ that they were so readily available. The mother of two added: ‘I’m shocked that you can buy something like that at a garage.